Saturday, July 21, 2007

Today the shop opened late after I wasted two hours driving constantly but never moving more than 2 miles from home. Every road I tried was flooded! It was like being in a maze. At some points I could see my destination, the M4, and then round the next bend, a queue of cars waiting to do a u turn. It became quite comical, seeing the same faces on different routes, everyone waving their arms, shaking their heads and indicating the road ahead was closed. The trouble is, you can travel quite a long way down a lane before finding it is blocked and having to go all the way back and look for another route. I know I found at least nine closed roads.

At one point I was driving along beside a rat, soaked through and head down looking truly miserable and like a “drowned rat”. I saw a cyclist up to his axles in water and lots of abandoned vehicles.

But eventually after all routes East and West were exhausted I went North, then West, South, and East and got to my junction on the M4 about 2 hours later than usual.

Fortunately the shop isn’t flooded, but the rain is keeping the shoppers away. Thank goodness I have some paperwork to keep me busy!

No comments: