Thursday, March 15, 2007

There is a Purpose for Trigonometry

ShelvesFor the first time since leaving school I am using the SIN, COS and TAN buttons on my calculator! Actually not my original Texas Instruments TI-30 calculator, whose batteries finally failed last year, but Windows Calc. All the same, the functions really are quite handy. I've managed to "design" the stainless steel benches to fit behind the counter which needs to join onto odd bits of angled wall. I even seem to have managed to document my design in a manner that makes sense to the steel fabricator. Though having not seen the finished article, it could all go horribly wrong!

Some of my earlier "designs" are now coming to life in the form of display shelves for the front room. From my sketches and measurements, the big machine at B&Q managed to cut the wood almost to the size I asked for. Then after a little bit of re-cutting and planeing, drilling and screwing, the sheets have become shelves. Bit more sanding to do and some colour to add and we'll be ready to stock them (if the floor is ever finished of course).

1 comment:

Joanna said...

That made me laugh. I never did get those buttons on the calculator, I'm sure you might of explained it too me. I wonder if I would of understood at school if it involved measuring for worktop. Glad your school calcultor lasted longer than mine, they are the one thing I always managed to break, it was very wierd. Glad to hear the house is coming on too