Thursday, March 29, 2007

Painting Shelves and Drinking Tea

Shelves everywhere!Last week I really liked the shelves, especially the small cubes and the corner pieces. But, after being let down at the last minute by the spray painter, and having spent two days sanding, priming, sanding, undercoating and sanding, I'm not so sure they were such a good idea! What is wrong with long wide shelves with the minimum number of corners?

On a more positive note, I did find time for two tea breaks today. This morning, we enjoyed samples from Jane at Crumbles, who makes melt in the mouth shortbread from flour milled in the last working corn and grist mill on the Thames. Then in the afternoon I received a box of “Elephant tea” from Williamsons. Shame we'd finished the shortbread by then, but I dashed over to the offices opposite with my sample stock and had a lovely cup of Earl Gray. Both the shortbread and tea went down well with those I shared them with and will be making an appearance on the newly painted shelves soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen

Wow, things are coming on very well aren't they? Love the shelves, although I guess I really need to feel them to appreciate the sanding and elbow grease. Are you going to be open this week do you think? Jeff is very keen to visit soon, but don't worry, we can't come this weekend anyway as we're off to Southwold.

Bec xx

PS love the signage. And now agree, purveyors was too much of a mouthful anyway...

Karen (@ Tastes) said...

Hello
Might open this week, might be next. I think next week is more likely but am still trying to open before the bank holidays. Still awaiting crucial equipment, like scales and the plumbing has gone wrong already. But I did finish painting the shelves last night! Enjoy the seaside.