Saturday, September 27, 2014

Questions

Last week, while meeting with a supplier, someone popped into the shop to ask a question. I can't remember what the question was, but the supplier found it amusing and asked if that happened a lot. To me, it was perfectly normal. So maybe my normal is not so normal after all. As an experiment I thought I'd keep a list of all the non-deli related questions I was asked today. Just to see how interesting they really were. My list reads a little like a foreign language phrase book! What I realised is they are mainly from tourists and actually knowing what tourists need to know might be helpful to someone. There are definite themes. In case anyone fancies analysing them, here are the questions:

How can I walk to Dorney Lake?
Is there a cash machine near here?
Is there anywhere in Eton I can I buy plain black socks?
Can you give me ten pounds in change?
Where's the nearest taxi rank?
Can I have one of your carrier bags?
Do you have change for a twenty?
Eton College?
Is the parking free for blue badges?
Where's the high street?
Is there a Boots or something here?
Do you give change for the car park?
Where's the nearest cash machine?
Where are the shops?
Is the college open?
Which is the best restaurant?
Can I get into the castle? How much is it?
Can I get some change?
Where are the toilets?
How far is the college?
Do the pubs allow children?
Can only residents park here?
Where do you recommend for lunch?
Can I swap this 10p?
Is there anywhere doing afternoon tea before three?
Can you tell me which way the toilets are?
Give us some change for the parking, love.
Does the open top bus stop near here?
When is the parking free?
Top up?
What are the flags for?
Can you give me ten pound coins for this?
Trick or treat?

OK, I'll admit that last one was unusual for the 27th September and along with the encroaching darkness, signals time to close the shop for the night!

No comments: