Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Hug from a Cup of Tea

After a long day in the shop, an evening building a cheese wedding cake for a really lovely couple, followed by a three hour drive to my weekend, I was certainly ready for bed. In my overnight bag I'd packed a selection of tea bags I fancied trying. And first up was certainly appropriate. Tea Huggers' Good Night Tea. Not only did the soft purple-blue packaging match the colours in my hosts' kitchen, but the tea's on box write-up sounded like just what I needed:

Pop the kettle on – and your slippers. This is a gorgeous, sweet blend of soothing lavender and fruity blueberry flavour on a base of caffeine-free rooibos. Blended with lemon balm and lots of fruity flavours from orange peel, apple and hibiscus petals, it’s the perfect brew to relax your mind and body at the end of a long day.

I'd definitely had a long day, and had driven round the M25, so soothing was certainly in order. I've no idea whether I slept better for having had the tea (it could have been exhaustion), but I certainly enjoyed drinking it. The first thing I noticed was the aroma, lots of delicate flavours and not overpoweringly of lavender which I had thought might be the case. The colour was vibrant. The taste was as good as the smell; intense, not disappointingly wishy washy. It was sweet, yet clean and fresh. If a cup of tea could give a bedtime hug this is how I imagine it would feel!


Next morning, I, appropriately, tried Good Morning. While goodnight is cosy and comforting, good morning is its opposite. Its stronger, earthy and smokey. A really unique blend with a lot going on. It is still well balanced and mellow with no single flavour dominating. It certainly awoke my taste buds.

Four of the tea huggers range of teas are now available at Tastes Delicatessen.

No comments: