Tuesday, May 14, 2013

There's Hummus and there's Houmous

I've never made a chickpea hummus that I've been happy with. Nowadays, if called upon to make hummus I follow Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe for Roasted Carrot Hummus (from Veg Everyday). It's delicious, and works every time. It does, however, require the carrots to be roasted with delicious honey and cumin seeds for 40 minutes. So it isn't a recipe which lends itself to dip emergencies.

Luckily for me Jay has been working on his hummus technique and can rustle up a delicious dip in a matter of minutes with store cupboard staples. It is quite a personal thing, everyone has their own way and like it just that way (except me!). But since my blog post about adding Sweet and Hot Sauce to hummus people have been asking for Jay's recipe. So here it is, this is how Jay makes hummus.

Put all of this into a blender:
A glug of olive oil,
1 clove garlic finely chopped,
Sprinkle of Cornish sea salt
1 can chick peas,
1 tablespoon Meridian light tahini,
100ml Water,
Blend.
Juice half a lemon and add a bit at a time until you are happy with the result. 
It makes about 400 ml.

No comments: