Friday, July 27, 2012

Beautiful Eton # 5 - Eton and The Olympics

Pretty much everyone around here knows the Olympic Rowing and Canoe Sprint and Paralympic Rowing will take place at the Eton-Dorney Rowing Lake. Many people will know the Olympic torch was carried down Eton High Street in 1948, but there is more...

Did you know Eton High Street has the only 1908 marathon route marker still in existence?

Just above head height on the building next to Baldwin's Bridge; between the Post Office and Eton College gift shop. The sign reads "Marathon Route, 25 miles, 40.2 kilos".



Apparently, Eton College would have been the starting point had the marathon been the standard 24.85 miles, but it was lengthened to just over 26 miles to start a bit further out at Windsor Castle, and then a bit more was added at the end to get the runners to the Royal Box at the Olympic stadium in White City. So for those running marathons who find the last mile the hardest - you can blame the first London Olympics!

If you want to come and see the marker for yourself, I'd suggest walking from the Windsor-Eton bridge. You can then wander the length of Eton High Street taking in its other sights, and of course the wonderful shops. Within a couple of minutes from the bridge you'll reach Tastes Deli, where if the weather is anywhere near as beautiful as today, you can pick up an ice cream. Continue along the High Street for a third of a mile and you'll find the marathon route marker. Google maps estimates the walk to be 5 minutes, but with all the wonderful browsing opportunities en-route, you should allow a bit longer!

For the sake of accuracy I should mention that I have read that this marker was from the 1924 Empire Games held at Wembley. But I've seen more citations referring to the 1908 Olympics and it is in the right place for the route of that marathon, so I am running with the Olympics theory (pun completely intentional - sorry!).

7 comments:

Helen, roost, Eton said...

What a fountain of knowledge you are Karen! :)

Master Mariner said...

I spotted this sign whilst in Eton earlier this week. Having taken a photo I thought I would try and discover what it was for and Mr Google led me here! Thanks for providing such an interesting article.

Karen (@ Tastes) said...

Thanks Master Mariner. I hope you enjoyed your time in Eton. This year the Outdoor Trust have launched an "Eton Walkway"; a two mile circular walk, taking in some of the historic sites of the town. It includes a stop at the marathon sign by Baldwin's Bridge. We have some free guidebooks in the deli, so if you're back in the area pop in.

Master Mariner said...

Funnily, I also took a few photos of your building! Since I retired I have started taking photographs and Historic England are running a project to get photos of all the Listed Buildings on "The List". Your building, No 1211407, now has some photos attached to the listing. I also took a photo of one of the "Eton Walkway" plaques that is set in the pavement close to the (very) unusual Victorian post box.

I hope to return to Eton sometime in May so I will pop in and pick-up a guidebook.

Charles

Karen (@ Tastes) said...

That sounds like a brilliant project. I'll add some images myself. If you are interested in the history of this building, have a look at http://newtastes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/history-of-92.html
For the unusual postbox, see
http://newtastes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/beautiful-eton-2-post-box.html
I rather like the history of this town!
Hope to see you next month.

Master Mariner said...

Great articles Karen. I wish I was a wordsmith like you! The Historic England listing of 92 is at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1211407.

Karen (@ Tastes) said...

Thanks Master Mariner. I have added a couple of photos and will dig out a few more at a later date.