Sunday, October 21, 2007

Robbery

On 10th October we had a robbery in the shop in broad daylight at lunch time. I’ve been meaning to write about it ever since but it just put me in a miserable mood.
I am sure the thieves don’t realise the impact their actions have. It isn’t just the loss of the money. It is the inconvenience of not being able to use the till drawer for a further day and a half until finger prints have been taken, of spending hours giving statements to the police. It is having to close the shop, not just long enough to get over the shock and have a brief sob, but long enough to go to the bank and withdraw enough money to put a float back in the till to reopen. And as with the guy who tried to pass off forged notes, because I know what the thief looks like, anyone of a similar appearance (and plenty of others) are now viewed with suspicion. And it has also sapped my motivation. There has been no financial reward for all the work I have put into getting the shop open, but someone else feels they can just walk in and help themselves to money I can’t really afford to lose. But a week has passed now and I’m feeling much better. The shop is almost back to normal, and business has been good over the past few days, so I shall finish this blog entry and draw a line under the theft.

No comments: